Monday, November 22, 2010

The making of a Disciple

Sitting down this afternoon I am so struggling to find the words describing all that has happened this past month. We have had incredible teachings every week brought to us from some of the most passionate "disciples" I have ever met. So I will share a little of what has stuck to my heart and changed it in.
We had an amazing couple, Craig and Connie Kline speak to us on spiritual gifts, living love out in our communities, submitting to authority and under that - how to be a person of influence. In simply hearing the stories of their household and the way they lived out what the believed in their community the Kline's so inspired and encouraged me. It has been my desire to have such an open and loving house as they example and I am so encouraged to have them pour their wisdom over us. It was during this week that my parents finalized their divorce and Craig and Connie just loved on me throughout the week with love and joy amidst the pain of a breaking family.
The following week we had the privilege of hearing from Don Gillman, leader of YWAM Taiwan. This was a week full of challenge as God spoke through Don and called out several places of fear that were paralyzing me. It was honestly a rough week of struggling through strongholds and realigning my heart with His for me, but coming out of that is a confidence in who He is in me and a love that astounds me. The Word that was really spoken into me that week was 1 John 4 and just the promises and truth that are proclaimed in those 21 verses.
This last week Jeremy West came and taught "the cost of discipleship," and how the cost of being a disciple is not about a vocation or calling, but about an identity. It was much like the leadership training I have had in the past, however Jeremy took a very biblical approach and it really brought back into focus the fact that the identity of a disciple is a non-identity in self.
Also during this week we had Kris Vallotton, director of the Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry in Redding, CA, guest lecture for an evening. - He brought a deep knowledge and understanding of biblical history and prophecy into a night of empowering our generation. Throughout this week God continuously brought up John 21:15-19
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me." Looking at that section with Strong's Concordance- gaining a better understanding of the significance and respect for what Jesus is asking Peter, and in turn asking us all.

Every week we have a 2 hour class entitled, Justice Equip, where we split into 3 classes: Water 4 Life, Teaching ESL (english as a second language), and Health Care. I am in the health care class and have been learning so much. From working in shabby clinics doing vital signs, basic diagnosis' and treatments associated with such, a general overview of skin diseases and parasites, understanding HIV/AIDS, and the most recent: how to deliver a baby! It has been one exciting and informative lesson after the next.

We are now 3 weeks from leaving for Thailand!!! In that light I will present my current need for $1,750 by Wednesday. I am trusting in God's provision and encourage you to pray about helping send me through Thailand where my team of 9 will work with victims of sex trafficking for nearly 3 months. If you feel His lead, you can go to http://www.uofnkona.edu/ and follow the "pay school fees" under the "apply" tab- it will take you a page where you can submit a payment using the following information:
Marisa Watson
Feb 15, 1991
misagalwatson@hotmail.com
DTS- Justice
Sept 2010
Or you can give through Paypal by clicking the "donate" button to the right. Thank you!

Love Always

No comments:

Post a Comment