Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The DTS has begun in Port-Au-Prince!

We are 9 days into the DTS here in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti and already the Lord has been moving in astounding ways!

50 students arrived Thursday through Sunday and we spent those days allowing some time for rest after traveling and getting to know one another. Monday began lecture phase as Sean and other staff members shared and taught on several topics in including what the goals and values of YWAM are, forgiveness, leaving your family, intercession, and sexual purity.  One Friday a team of staff joined to teach on purity, splitting into guys and girls for the morning.  For the girls the testimonies that were shared spoke directly into many of the girl’s lives and after hours of teaching and sharing the Lord showed up in an incredible way. There was a very transparent time of confession, encouragement, and healing followed, which lasted well through lunch.  It was such a moving time and my heart truly breaks for the injustices that some of these young woman have endured. Praise the Lord for restoration, healing, and His justice! After finally breaking for lunch we all joined together again in the classroom and went through a general sharing of what had been taught to the guys and girls. Afterwards the men brought up buckets and shared how they wished to wash our feet.  There was some doubt from the Haitian women who for years have been abused, oppressed and manipulated. It broke my heart, but as the men went on to explain their hearts you could see the shift begin happening in many of the girls’ faces.  All the guys sat and waited on the Lord to tell them which women’s feet to wash.  I sat watching as walls began to come down, as deep pain was released, forgiveness given and trust began being built. It was a beautiful moment and I couldn’t help but pause and praise God for such an incredible group of people.  One of the Haitian men on staff, Vougly, came up to me and as he began washing my feet the Lord began working in my heart, bringing up offenses and memories from the past, washing each one. Leading me back to my seat Vougly prayed over me one of the sweetest prayers I’ve ever felt and even though I couldn’t understand his Creole prayer – the Spirit was truly working. As he held me in a hug afterwards I felt my own heart soften as peace and gratitude overwhelmed me. What a way to end the first week!

Saturday we traveled by bus to a beach about 2 hours away and spent the day swimming, playing volleyball, and eating a delicious BBQ - cooked by the very well loved Voltar, a Brazilian YWAMer who volunteers with us.  And then Sunday was open for students to go to church with the local Haitian or do whatever really. I chose to do laundry and then went on an ADVENTURE into the city with a few others. Any time one goes into the city it’s an adventure and this time it included tap-taps, moto rides, sketch moving trucks with holes cut out of the sides for air and hitch-hiking to get to the top of the mountain, over looking the city.

This week our speaker is Dudley Weiner, and he has been sharing on living the in the spirit and spiritual warfare.  I have personally loved his presence here and having him walk us through many situations of manifestations that we’ve encountered already here during the last few days as well as getting to talk with him personally – learning about walking in my giftings and understanding more of my own story.
The worship times here in Haiti are unbelievable and His presence has not once been long to answer the hunger these students have.  Sprits are very active here. Demons showing themselves, peace overwhelming, a spirit of joy took inhabitance here on day 3 and has remained to some extent. Many of the staff are beginning to walk into the gift of discernment and o it has been interesting and quite a journey learning how to walk day to day here. For myself it has definitely been a time of learning, growing and experiencing Him in new ways.

We are only a few days into the DTS and I am so overwhelmed with what the Lord is doing, the next 5 months are going be life altering! I am trying to keep you all updated as best I can, it is so hard to do that here though. Electricity here is unreliable and usually comes on for a couple hours a day if we're lucky. We are still in need of water, the situation has been Super covered by His grace and it's not too bad, but it hasn't rained in 2 weeks and we will need it to soon now. Also, I am still needing $2,000 of support to come in for me to continue working here - most of that will go towards the 2 month outreach I am co-leading come September, the rest covers living expenses and a ticket home towards the end of November! 

Psalm 146:1-2, 5-10
Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord his God,
who made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that is in them,
who keeps faith forever;
who executes justice for the oppressed,
who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free;
the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
the Lord loves the righteous.
The Lord watches over the sojourners;
he upholds the widow and the fatherless,
but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
The Lord will reign forever,
your God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the Lord!
Love Always

No comments:

Post a Comment